Sunday 15 April 2012

INSPIRATION


Have you ever wondered how you have got to a point in your life? Well that is where I am at now, I feel like I am on a path somewhere which is exciting, daunting but a journey I have no idea where it will end but I wouldn't alter it for anything.

I have recently had a good look around at people and I am amazed at how many people give up their time so selflessly to help others. This can be just a parent helping out at school, running a committee or a neighbour or friend helping out one another.

There are the people who set challenges, putting themselves through and in some case quite an ordeal to raise money for charities that are important to them. One man who has just done this is Ivan Hollings, last weekend he completed 100 mile run in 24 hours to raise money for CHUF (Children’s heart unit fund at the Freeman Hospital). His determination and inspiration comes from his son. I am just full of admiration, here is the link to his blog, he is truly inspirational. http://seb4chuf.wordpress.com/2012/04/13/sebs-daddy-runs-100miles24hours/ If you are also inspired please donate, it is such a worthwhile cause.

This summer a friend David is going to attempt to break a world record to raise money for Help the Heroes. David Graham is aiming to smash the GWR himself for the amount of dead lifts in a day! The GWR is 475,065kg which works out at 5-6 reps of 60kg, every single minute for 24 hours. He is not alone there are three others you need to check this challenge out, it is something else, it is going to be a tough one. http://www.bmycharity.com/lift4heroes

Maybe my biggest inspiration is my dad John Shallcross. I have watched him for the last 25 years give up his time to help raise money for the 'Clubs for young people' which was formerly known as the 'Boys club'. There have been, boxing events, shooting events, dances etc and in that time he has raised over 1 million pounds which is just astounding and it is money that has made a massive difference to young people lives throughout the city.

Maybe it is from him I have got to the point I am at now. Last time I told you about 'Reason To Ride' (another group of people who have agreed to give up their time to help make a difference to a Childs future). So maybe it’s time I should tell you about 'Reason To Swim'.

Reason to Swim, (this event is for everyone; yup that is all of you). Very excited to tell you that Virgin Money will be supporting me with this event. We will be raising money for the Percy Hedley foundation, which does fantastic work helping disabled people and their families in the North East.
All you need to do the week commencing the July 2nd is hop in a pool and swim a mile (64 lengths of a 25m pool). This can be done in 1 go or over 6. It is about doing something to help make a difference. All I ask is that you will go online and donate something for taking part at the time. Now here comes the twist being an endurance athlete I like big numbers, what I want to see is how many miles we can swim in 1 week, in my book the bigger the better. By donating your mile will be counted and you will be participating in something special and the money raised will make a huge difference. I will be giving lots more information nearer the time.

Finally maybe I should mention a little race I am in next weekend. On Tuesday I fly to Eilat (yikes, yippee, oh lord) for my sprint triathlon in Eilat, representing GB in my age group. Don't think it has really sunk in yet. Had an awful week last week, got sick then my asthma all flared off, not really the best. So have been taking it very easy, which probably isn't a bad thing for me. My race number is 281 thought for a second when I got that it was the same as my Ironman number which would have been spooky but that was 291 not far off though. So I will fill you in on how I get on when I get back. Wetsuits still haven't been banned so that will be an experience 30 degrees and pulling on a full rubber outfit. Thank god my race is 07.40am (on the 21st), couldn't imagine putting a wetsuit on in the midday heat to race!! Whatever happens in Eilat it is definitely going to be a trip that I will not forget. Look forward to filling you all in when I am back.

No comments:

Post a Comment