Monday 25 April 2011

200 miles in 1 weekend

I have just had the most amazing weekend. With the kids spending the weekend with their dad, I decided to embark upon the journey of cycling to the Lakes to visit some friends. The route was Newcastle to just beyond Bowness in Windermere, going via Hexham then Allendale so I could join up with the C2C route till Penrith. From Penrith it was on to Ulswater then up and over Kirkstone Pass and down into Windermere.

Good Friday started with severe smog warnings, not really the best start as visibility was poor.

The sun trying to break through
However a couple of hours into the ride it lifted, and turned into the most fantastic day. Getting to Hartside proved more challenging than I thought. I think I cycled through four valley's. The worse climb of the day had to be at Nenthead. It is the steepest thing I have ever climbed, I thought my legs would never forgive me. After that it was up again to Hartside then down into Penrith and on to Ulswater which was just breath taking.


Along the shore of Ulswater I met up with a friend Jason and we cycled the last 20 miles together. I was very grateful for his company as we had another climb to tackle Kirkstone Pass. That climb to proved to be really quite unpleasant.

Almost the top of Kirkstone Pass
Overall I cycled approx 115 miles and climbed 5950 feet.

That night and the next day my legs felt great which was very reassuring. Also during my stay I had a very pleasant little drive around the Lakes in this rather special car. It was amazing!!


Easter Sunday it was time to cycle home. I slightly cheated and started my journey from the top of Kirkstone Pass. I also slightly changed my route back, so I could avoid Nenthead (I really don't like that hill). Coming back I cycled 86.12 miles in 5 hours and 10 mins and climbed 4617 feet. Again the weather was fantastic and the views were sensational.

Arriving into Northumberland

Upon arriving back I decided to test my legs out running, so I went out for a very gentle jog. The first 10 minutes was horrendous. However after this my body seemed to adjust and it did become easier, so 3 1/2 miles later I arrived home feeling like I could of done more. That has to be a good sign!!

No comments:

Post a Comment