Saturday 7 May 2011

Handstands Galore!!

Wow it has been two weeks since my last blog entry, I really don't know where the time is going!!

So last week I went down  to Manchester and then Stoke with the kids to catch up with some old friends. We had a great time and I even managed to run in both places 12 and 7 miles, which was an added bonus. Then after the Royal wedding we came back up north.

On Saturday, the kids went with their dad for the rest of the weekend. So I took off to the lakes again. I must say I was very pleased this time to be in a vehicle as the wind in places was gusting up to 35mph, that wouldn't of been fun on my bike. That afternoon I did a small bike/run session, which felt good.

Sunday Becci and I did our first open water swim, which turned out to be a bit of a comedy sketch. I decided a great picture for the blog would be of us doing handstands in the water with our feet touching, in a graceful arc like position ummmmm!!! What planet am I on, as if we really could pull this one off. There was definitely nothing graceful about us trying to perform this pose. I think the people on the boats and the other tourists that happened to be milling around the shore line, were more than a little stunned when two 36 year old's start randomly doing very unladylike handstands and falling on top of each other. On the up side to this activity I don't think I have laughed so much in a long time. Half way through our trusty camera man Jimmey attempted to help us leaving a random 9 year old to take the photo's. It did make a  little difference, but still I really don't think it looked that graceful.  Finally realising it wasn't going to happen, we set off for our swim. This turned out to be very shorter than planned, but very enjoyable all the same.

The Handstand
Laughing uncontrollably
Oh Dear all wrong!!
Really not graceful at all

Nearly there!


Possibly I wanted to enter a wheel barrow race!!
Almost perfection, with a bit of help

There we go
Here I come



 However disaster struck coming out of the lake, I managed to step on something sharp and badly gash my middle toe. A few hours later and the blood still not stopping, it was a trip to Kendal Casualty. I am very pleased we went in the end. I told the lovely doctor what I was training for an ironman, so he decided the best course of action was glue and a tetanus shot. It really is amazing stuff, got told I could bike and run on it, I just had to keep it dry for the next 3 days. FANTASTIC!!



 Before I left the lakes I thought I should test out the glue,so did a quick 25 miles ending on the most enormous hill climb but getting this view of lake Windermere three quarters of the way up, just sesational.


This week the Kids went back to school. So it was back to the training routine. Made tri club, managed a mid week 50 mile bike ride with Lisa and also a 12.5 mile run Thursday night with Laura. However the glue hasn't held and I am now on antibiotics and having to train on a split toe, not the best really.

Friday night was a new one for me I went to a Indian cooking lesson, at Kiran's Curry Kitchen. What a fantastic night it was to. Kiran demonstrates about five dishes and afterwards you all sit down and eat. It was delicious. So I left with some bags of spices ready to recreate the dishes at home, I can't wait to get trying.

Finally Saturday I managed  a three and half hour bike ride, covering 60 miles and then went straight into an hour run, I actually enjoyed it all. I am definitely starting to feel it is coming together, which is great feeling. Next Sunday it is my first race of the year so I am really looking forward to that. I wonder how I will get on?

No comments:

Post a Comment