Sunday 19 June 2011

Percictency pays off!!



What a way to end the weekend and no injuries this time, which is a relief as Ironman is now only 7 weeks away. Just look at that, we did it!


However yet again getting into that position proved to be hilariously entertaining!!

Friday night I took part in the 2mile Great North Swim, which was held just outside Windermere. Made two fatal errors for this race, the first being I ate some spicy chicken at lunch time, won't do that again. Trying to swim your fastest and have something repeating on you is quite an horrendous. The second error was that we were running late getting to the venue and I was so concerned about getting into the water before the race I didn't give the actual course much thought. Had a quick look at the diagram on the board and that was it.  So when the race began I really felt like I was swimming the first lap blind, my second lap was far more enjoyable, until about the last 500m when I seemed to be experience brain freeze (ice cream headache). In the end my 2 mile swim took me 58 minutes 44seconds. which placed me 2nd in my age group and gender category. I was 27th female overall in the 2 mile events. To be honest I am a little disappointed with my time as last weekend I swam a mile in 26 minutes, but I do feel like I learnt a lot from this race.

After the race finished we were about to head back to the car when I managed to see and then have my photo taken with a swimming legend. He had also swam in our 2 mile race, it was the one and only Duncan Goodhew.


So for the rest of the weekend not much training really happened as I have been absolutely exhausted from my first time camping with my kids. I decided to ease myself gently into this new experience and camp in my friends garden, the lovely Rebecca who I do my handstands with (as seen above).


How perfect is that. So our first night was obliviously very exciting, that was till about 4/5am when my 3year old decided as it was light so she was going to start the day, I never knew a morning could last so long. I gave up at 6.30 am and staggered up to the house for a strong coffee. The second night proved a little more successful as the youngest decided she wasn't going to sleep in the tent and was going to sleep with her friend in the house. I thought this was a marvellous idea (don't know if Rebecca and Jason were quite so enthusiastic) but I was dreading another night of very little sleep. To be on the safe side I was in bed by 9.30pm, couldn't believe it, we all slept till 7.50am and when I got up to the house they were all still in their beds too.
However I have discovered since arriving back home, we have managed to bring a few uninvited  guests back with us which I would of rather we had left behind........TICKS. They are horrible and between us all we to have quite a few, yuck!

Training for the rest of the week has been ok, probably not enough training really. Monday I managed a 70 mile bike ride with Lisa, it was great being back out with my cycling partner again. Wednesday I survived my first 2 1/4 hour run with Laura, however we managed to get so thirsty that we had to detour our run via  my mums house to slurp out of the garden tap (she wasn't in), I will definitely be taking water with me on our next long run. I made yoga on Thursday which was awesome as normal. It was here a friend who read my blog from last week and who also shares my pain with his IT band, very kindly brought me the next step up from the foam roller. Its the plastic pipe, rolling has now just taking on a whole new level of  excruciating pain. So a massive thank you for that one!!

Once again please can I remind everyone I am trying to raise as much money as possible for Tiny Lives. This is a charity which helps support the enormous costs in caring and keeping alive babies born prematurely in the North East. All donations really are gratefully received.
Just Giving Page: http://www.justgiving.com/Joanna-Reed0

No comments:

Post a Comment