Sunday 12 June 2011

Radio Jo goes live on the air waves!!

Well what a week I have had. The start of the week took a very unexpected but fabulous twist. Our local radio station BBC Newcastle got in touch with me via some one I know who works there and asked if I would come in and do a live interview at 5.15pm........ummmm ........yeah!!!!!

So it was to talk about Ironman the training and tiny lives. I don't think I have been that nervous in a long time, but after the first minute I totally got in to it. So BBC Newcastle, if you are ever wanting a new Radio presenter, look no further I am your girl. For thoses of you who haven't heard it, here we go. Just click on the link below: (massive thanks to Matt aka @yaagTRI for sorting this out for me)

http://soundcloud.com/mskey/ironman-jo

This week my IT band on the left hand side really started playing up. I was also getting pain in my knee, because of it. Despite all my best efforts in stretching, I just don't think I have the time at the moment to stretch enough. I have spent most evenings on my foam roller (which is never a pleasant experience), and with my first Olympic distance triathlon race taking place on Sunday I decided I had to do something about it. In such dire circumstances there is only one person I would call and that is the fabulous Jambo Truong. (I really need to pack him in my suitcase for Germany). He managed to squeeze me in (Saturday teatime) and one very painful hour or so later later I left with some rather attractive bruising from him using the cupping technique on my IT band followed by some intense massage. The pain level could only be described as excruciating.


But on the up side my leg was feeling a lot better, despite the bruising.

So my first Olympic distance triathlon race was held down in Cleveland which is an hour south of Newcastle. So I was up and on the road by 6.30 which to be honest is a lie in, in the world of triathlons. The weather was amazing it really couldn't of been any better.
Ellerton Park Lake- This is what I swam in
 So for an Olympic distance triathlon these are the distances: 1 mile open water swim, 25 miles on the bike and a 10km Run.

The lake was at a tropical 16 degrees and I came out from my mile swim on 26 minutes dead (3rd female out of the water). Experienced a couple of slaps across the head but on the whole pretty uneventful.

My T1 time was 1min10secs (this is the time it took me to get my wetsuit off and biking gear on and vacate the area).

My cycle time was 1hr 11mins and 32 seconds. I really did push this section. With that time my average speed was 20.6mph, which put as the 3rd quickest female, the 1st female Averaged 20.8mph. So I was close. Nearly had a major mishap, one of the straps of my saddle bag fell off and very nearly caught in my wheel and chain, luckily it came free and fell away. So with the  saddle bag now hanging down the side of my bike I made the decision, if it comes off, it's good bye, so long and farewell. How pleased am I that it never came off, it only had the van keys in it. I would probably still be cycling around trying to find it now if it had.

T2 41 seconds (rack bike again remove cycling gear and put on the running shoes)

The run, this took me 46 minutes and 53 seconds and it was pure pain. I never felt comfortable the whole way through, it was grim. My thighs kept feeling like they were going to cramp and my body felt tense. My IT band actually felt ok which was a relief but I just couldn't find my flow. I entered this run in 3rd place but finished in 6th. However considering the treatment I had done the previous night and also knowing this is were I am weakest I am quite happy with my performance.

In the end overall I was 6th and in my category I was 4th, all I am going to say, 'there is room for improvement!!'
After the race and struggling to bend the legs!!
Finally I got a photo of some of the guys I am going to Germany with. We are all doing the Ironman and 4 of us in this picture are complete novices to this experience. If you can spot the father and son, those two are the experienced ones!!

So next weekend I am swimming the 2 mile swim in Windermere for the great North Swim and will also be camping with my children for the first time, could be a very eventful weekend!!

Once again, I am trying to raise as much money as possible for 'Tiny Lives'. This is a charity which helps support the enormous costs in caring and keeping alive babies born prematurely in the North East. All donations really are gratefully received.

Just Giving Page: http://www.justgiving.com/Joanna-Reed0

1 comment: